Sunday, January 15, 2012

Studio Classes

This morning I met a piano teacher in the area who is relocating to the other side of the country. We talked about the possibility of me taking on some of her students. Of course, this would be GREAT for me! But even if that doesn't happen, it was so great to converse with an intelligent, kind, and creative teacher. I walked away with new ideas in only 45 minutes, and have started brainstorming others.

Giovanna told me of the studio classes she teaches. Basically, it's a separate class that piano students attend in order to learn musical concepts together: music theory, music history, rhythm, sight-reading, ear-training, etc. I'm thrilled to organize this for my current students, and have started thinking of ways to make this creative and fun.

Here's what I have so far:

Studio Classes
4-5 students around the same age
Creating a velcro rhythm board where students will not only read rhythms, but create them
Creating a large staff for note identification
Exploring percussion instruments 
Encouraging improvisation
Expose students to various types of music 
Allow students the opportunity to play for each other in a safe environment
Lessons in notation and composition
Worksheets on various musical concepts
Learning and practicing musical vocabulary through musical experiences and exploration
Fun...Fun... FUN!!!!

I will put the idea out there this week to the parents of my students. I am very much looking forward to having a class and giving my students this opportunity. I think they will enjoy doing something a bit different then their one-on-one lesson, and hopefully make some new piano friends in the process. I will keep posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment